We're Hiring an Associate Editor!
Mental Floss is hiring an associate editor!
Are you obsessed with finding unusual gifts for your friends and relatives? Do you love leaving reviews for every product you buy? Then this is the job for you.
We’re looking for an associate editor to join the team in our New York City office. This person will have the ability to find products that are both quirky and smart—tea bags that look like goldfish, the items chefs say everyone should have in their kitchens—and be able to sniff out a good sale.
Primary responsibilities will include: conceiving and assigning product posts that fit Mental Floss's smart, quirky voice and positive tone; finding deals; writing daily product posts; editing work from freelancers and staff writers; adding affiliate links to existing posts; and generally elevating Mental Floss's product coverage.
But wait, there's more! Because we're a small editorial team, you'll wear many hats: You’ll edit news posts, help with video scripts, and pitch in on things like event planning and book projects. It’s not just because you’re new—here, everyone does a little of everything.
Ideal candidates will have:
- Two years of editing, writing, and assigning experience in the affiliates space
- Experience with affiliate networks like Skimlinks and Amazon
- A keen eye for spotting Flossy products and determining what makes those products appealing
- Strong editorial judgment
- A natural curiosity and the ability to generate tons of story ideas
- Energetic, positive written voice (and attitude!)
- The ability to turn around constructive feedback to writers quickly
- Excellent time management skills, the ability to prioritize, and a high level of attention to detail
- The ability to juggle multiple projects while staying on deadline
- A willingness to take ownership of projects and collaborate with the rest of the team
- Knowledge of analytics, and the ability to track and analyze data
- A clear understanding of Mental Floss’s mission, voice, and audience
- SEO and Photoshop skills a plus